Friday, January 14, 2011



Personal Interview: Sheena Edwards – Lizzie Lou Shoes

Find out about the MoM behind the business:

Tell us about your family:
My husband, Matt, and I have three kids:  Emily 10, Lizzie, 7 and Vince, 3.  We live in my hometown of San Antonio surrounded by friends and family.  My husband is an attorney and I have been blessed to be able to stay at home since Emily was born.
What is your business and how did it get started?
I am the designer and owner of Lizzie Lou Shoes which began as a mother and daughter matching line of designer flip flops inspired by my daughter, Lizzie.
Since our launch in ’09 we have produced 17 different styles of women’s shoes, and last year sold over 200 pairs of flip flops.  I expect 2011′s sales to at least double 2010′s.  Our flip-flops retail for $99 and up. They’re known for their comfort, beautiful designs and brilliant crystals.
Between family and work, what does your “typical” day look like?
I would say it is a constant scramble of kids, housework, errands, homework, after school activities, and trying to keep up with the demands of my growing business.  I have to constantly remind myself that my goal is to be a working stay-at-home mom and sometimes the kids have to come first.  During my busy season, I will be working in the evenings when my husband comes home until I go to bed to keep up with orders and workload.
What keeps you motivated?
I love having my own business and working for myself.  My positive customer feedback and return customers keep me motivated to continue producing a high quality product.  I love hearing from women who own Lizzie Lous about the compliments they receive and how much they love the look and comfort.
What are your biggest struggles with your business?
I just don’t have enough time in the day to get everything done.  I really can’t afford to hire anyone right now so I often just can’t get enough done.  I would love to have a full-time public relations/salesperson on staff that could take over getting the shoes in new stores.  I know this would really help me expand faster.
And on the flip side, what is your biggest accomplishment?
I think developing my own line of flip flops is pretty amazing–I think of the feeling I got when the first shipment arrived from India, where they’re manufactured.  And in my personal life, I love being a mom of three kids.
What advice do you have for other MoMs and DaDs in small business?
Most important do something you love because having your own business is a lot of work and sometimes with little financial incentive.  If you don’t like what you are doing then you are going to have a hard time putting your heart into it.  Designing my own shoes and having friends and family wearing them…well, it just couldn’t get much better than that!
Do you have any long term goals for your business?
Expansion is going to be key in ’11.   I need to break into new markets and reach out to stores around the US.  I want to continue to design new styles that offer my customers more options in color and style.
What are you three favorite websites? Only three?  Wow, that is a tough question.  I love www.realsimple.comand the magazine. Always easy quick articles to read and always very informative for a busy mom.
Two of my favorite business sites that help out small business owners like me are (of course) www.livingmymoment.com and www.theworkathomewoman.com.  These two sites offer valuable information and assistance not only to women but to stay-at-home moms.
How are you Living Your MoMent?
Taking a risk starting my own business and investing in myself.
Anything else you would like to add!
I would love for your readers to sign-up to be entered in a drawing for a free pair of shoes.  Enter your email on my website to be entered.  http://www.lizzieloushoes.com/index.html.
What ways can people get in touch with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment